Skip to content

BUSINESS VIDEO MASTERCLASS

LEARN HOW NOT TO GUESS

BUSINESS VIDEO MASTERCLASS

LEARN HOW NOT TO GUESS

MASTERCLASS | PRODUCTION | DEAD SPOTS AND HOW TO IDENTIFY THEM

PART 3 - AVOIDING MISTAKES WHILE YOUR VIDEO IS BEING PRODUCED

Dead Spots and how to identify them

photo-0044

It’s easy to storyboard most of a video, and most people are full of great ideas as to what to show. Easily 80% is easy.

It’s the remaining 20% of the storyboard, the parts that are harder to visualise, that cause the problems.

And if these problems aren’t recognised and fixed early on, they’ll lead to Dead Spots in the final video, the points where your audience will abandon viewing because of lack of relevance or dullness.

A Dead Spot is a part of your video where the audience lose attention or the thread of the message, complete with all its intense momentum.

A Dead Spot makes them abandon, or yawn, or feel confused, which is the exact opposite of generating bags of passion and motivating audiences to take action.

All videos have Dead Spots in them to a point. It’s just a matter of degree.

Eliminating Dead Spots is the art of “bringing the boring bits to life”.

A dead spot can also be a short section of your video that tries to do too many things at once, and quietly bewilders the audience.

What I do know is that most people don't properly consider Dead Spots, as they're too full of charging ahead with the great, easy ideas.

Big mistake.

Look for dead spots. Take pleasure in finding them. Then fix them so they're less dull.

Sometimes it means deleting a whole line of script which is turning out to be irrelevant. Consider this a victory.

Marketing & Training video products price list

VIDEO PRODUCTS PRICELIST

Marketing video prices here

Safety & Training video prices here

Exact prices for all standard runtime videos
Start making accurate plans

For example: Don't expecting the audience to pay attention to multiple split screens, shown simultaneously.

It can seem logical in to use split screen. But often it generates a Dead Spot because the audience's mind can't be in two places at once. Split screen tend to quietly bewilder, or cause viewers to become distracted..

The same applies to using captions that differ widely from the spoken script.

This is like saying that when we talk about Jack going up the Hill, we show a caption of Jill going up the Hill.

Dividing audience attention between two things is recipe for disaster, as people don’t really multi-function. They only take in one thing at a time, even if they can do it very quickly. It's the way consciousness and the mind works.

Another example: Trotting out mantras, whether company mantras or other widely circulating snippets of information that don't mean a lot. Exercise caution here.

Audiences can smell out these "liturgical sections" in a flash, and turn off, as they know it won’t be exciting or useful to them. It’ll just be posing or boastfulness or company cant.

So make sure the storyboard team are paying attention to 100% of the video, and not just visualising 80% of it in a great way, with the remaining 20% looking rather pedestrian and dull, or unimaginative, or just plain filler.

This is where attention to detail really comes in. Diligence matters.

It's the sort of thing you'll never see on Fiverr, or any dirt cheap video production. These videos have more dead spots than a zombie movie.

By eliminating dead spots, you're taking care of the troughs. The peaks will take care of themselves.

Call: 0044 1695 726887
Rossiter & Co Ltd | Registered in England
Reg. No: 4333515 | VAT No: GB483622044
STUDIO ROSSITER © 2020